I call it confetti rice salad!
Maybe I was inspired by the El Zunzal rice sprinkled with veggies, but when Leah invited me over for dinner, my mind immediately went toward making a veggie rice salad. This was the perfect way to use up garden veggies before leaving town too! (And a good dish to bring to my mostly-paleo-and-gluten-free friend's house!)
Unfortunately, I did record my recipe very well, but I was particularly impressed with the outcome, so i really wanted to include it on this here blog. :) This is roughly what I did:
Rice (I used long grain white rice because I already had some cooked, but you could do brown or wild rice to make it Clean)
Veggies, chopped (whatever's in your fridge or garden! I used kale, carrots, cucumbers, squash, tomato, eggplant, red onion, green onion, shallot)
Herbs (again, use what's around! I used lots of fresh parsley and some dry dill)
Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Lemons (I used their juice as well as some zest)
1. Put the rice into a rice cooker or begin to cook on the stovetop while sauteeing the onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
2. Add whatever veggies need to cook more next (such as carrots)
3. Add softer veggies, such as squash.
4. Season with herbs, salt, and pepper, then toss with rice in a large bowl. Add any vegetables you did not want cooked (such as cucumber and tomato). Add a splash of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Squeeze in lemon juice and grate with lemon zest.
5. Place in fridge to cool. Season with more salt and pepper if needed before serving.
confetti rice salad, bison burger with carmelized onions and cheddar, grilled okra and eggplant