Well, I started out with a recipe of some sort.... but I diverged from it quite immediately, changing proportions and adding in leftover grilled parsnips and leeks from last night's impromptu barbecue. I recorded all of this...
and then lost the slip of notepad paper. (Note to self: always record these notes in iPhone!) But that's okay. It's nothing that can't or won't be done again-- and maybe even better! Still thought I'd share these photos with you. Cannellini kale stew with roasted parsnips, leeks, and bacon-onion pork sausage. Warm, savory, and hearty-- just the food you want to eat as the weather starts to change. Feast your eyes!
Update: found the recipe! Find it after the jump
White Bean Kale Stew w/ Roasted Parsnips, Leeks, and Sausage
4 cups of chicken broth
2 large pork sausages (I used bacon-onion housemade at Central Market)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
1 large shallot, diced (little less than a cup)
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup grilled parsnips
1 cup grilled leeks
2 bay leaves
5 cloves of garlic, minced
small bunch of thyme
5 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop and saute onions and carrots. Add shallot and garlic and continue to cook until light golden-brown.
2. Bring broth to a boil while browning sliced sausages in another pan.
3. Add all vegetables to the broth, followed by sausage, bay leaves, and thyme.
4. Add wine to the stew and continue to cook down until liquid is reduced.
5. Remove thyme stems and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.